The Oasen Family Home Page

August 2000

  Nineteen years ago, after sailing on the Angelique, Maggie and I agreed that if our marriage survived 25 years, we would return to Maine for another cruise. The actual anniversary is still a month away, but we just returned from a vacation that was worth the wait!
Each day of our vacation is a separate page, with links to follow. This way the amount of time for the images to appear doesn't seem as bad as having one huge page. There is also a link to the map of our journey. You can click on it at anytime to see where we were, just use the "back" button on your browser to return to the page you were at.

On Friday, 28 July we left work and drove up to Manahawkin, NJ to stay the night with my parents. Erik was shipped off to stay his big sister Brie in North Carolina. After breakfast on Saturday we headed north through New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. A brief side trip was made to Bradford, MA to see the area that we had lived in 14 years ago. Then we continued on to Portsmouth, NH where we stayed the night. We splurged and had a lobster dinner that night, our first in years.

 The next morning we had planned on sleeping late, but we were so excited about the trip we were on the road by 8:00. Traveling up route 95 to Brunswick, ME we turned onto route 1 and arrived in Camden around 11:00. Lunch was at Cappy's Chowder House; Maggie had a burger while I had fried clams (Yum!). We spent the afternoon walking around town, and boarded the Angelique at 5:00.

 Rosie, one of the crew members greeted us, and she took us to our cabin, number 12. We were towards the back of the boat, on the port (left) side. Maggie claimed the bottom bunk, stating that I really needed the exercise climbing in and out of bed. Yeah, right. We unloaded our car and went back to Cappy's for supper. This time I had the burger, Maggie had a Taco salad. When we returned to the boat it was time to park the cars. We formed a caravan and headed over to a protected area.

The rest of the evening was spent talking on deck with our new shipmates. Although we went to bed at 10:00 I was up until 11:00 worrying about falling out of the bunk. I came up with the solution: I wedged my logbook between the mattress and the outer bed frame to form a barrier that would warn me of an impending disaster.

Most of these photos were shot with a Kodak DCS330 digital camera, the rest on film.


The Angelique